The house, originally known as ‘Chycowling’ has its first record of ownership in 1565 named as Darrel Stephens.
Following this, many documents name a Richard Cowlinge, son of John Cowlinge and also Geoffery Cowlinge as residents. This would most likely be where the name initially came from: ‘Chy’ is from the ancient Cornish Celtic language meaning ‘house of’ and therefore ‘Chycowling’ would mean ‘house of the Cowling’. After this, Chycowling was owned by the Earl of Falmouth (the Boscawen family) who also owned the Tregothnan Estate.
The grounds of the Emerald (farmland, fields and meadows) was owned in pre-Victorian times by a small number of Cornish families: names such as Tremayne and Lemon of Carclew, Boscawen and Agar-Robartes of Lanhydrock appear on many land deals and leases in this area over several generations. Each of these families were wealthy, all of owed their wealth to mining alongside backgrounds as merchants and bankers. The families of Agar, Lemon and Boscawen owned most of the land which now makes up the village the Emerald is situated in: Carnon Downs.
Since 1920 the property has undergone several changes of ownership. In recent years it operated as a small caravan and camping park until 1999 when the old house and the remains of the outbuildings were demolished and replaced by the present house. The formal gardens were established during this time and Tim and Brigitte moved here in 2010 to commence their vision for what is today: “The Emerald”.